Seton Hall Preparatory School – 2025 Seton Hall Prep Fathers Club Annual Pirate Treasure Auction
Auction Ends: Apr 12, 2025 10:00 PM EDT

Golf & Sports Gear

Essex Fells Country Club Golf Foursome Golf Carts Lunch & Drinks

Item Number
129
Leading Bid
500 USD  -  Reserve Not Met
Next Minimum Bid
USD

The winning bid will go to FrontStream Global Fund (tax ID 26-3265577), a 501c3 nonprofit organization, which will send the donation to Seton Hall Preparatory School (tax ID 222807217) on behalf of the winner.

Buy Now Price
2500 USD Buy Now
Time Left
7d 21h
Online Close
2025-04-12 22:00:00.0
Number of Bids
1  -  Bid History

Ask a question about this item.

Item Description

Play the beautiful & exclusive Essex Fells C.C. in suburban New Jersey.  The winning bidder will enjoy a round of golf for 4 Includes golf, carts,  lunch & drinks

 

History of Essex Fells CC
In 1896, a small group of Essex Fells golf enthusiasts, led by Charles Leaycraft and Ross Weir, joined together to play a rough layout of nine holes along Roseland Avenue. Soon they tired of the rudimentary course and hired Alex Findlay to design a new course of nine holes that stretched to 1,810 yards. The new layout spurred enthusiasm and generated momentum enabling the Club to grow to 22 members when it decided to formally incorporate as the Essex Fells Golf Club on July 24, 1900. Annual dues were $20.

Although the Club prospered during the early twentieth century, it became apparent that a new location was necessary for its survival as much of the land containing the golf links had been lent by neighbors – and -- they wanted it back. Member Walter Brown was dispatched to approach the Drexel Estate about leasing a vast tract of land “up on the hill”. The Drexel Estate was owned by Philadelphia financier Anthony Drexel who, in 1889, purchased for housing development the plot of land that is now the Borough of Essex Fells. Mr. Brown was successful in his negotiations and by 1913 the Club had a new home.

A full eighteen holes opened for play in 1916. The designer behind the original 5,430 yard, par 70 test of golf is to this day unknown. The first tee was located near the intersection of Oldchester Road and Oval Road and the first and eighteenth holes played over what is now Devon Road. A new Clubhouse, designed by C. Barton Keen and built by Milton Young opened shortly afterward on New Year’s Eve in 1917. The Club still occupies the building.

We would like to thank our sponsors....

Platinum

Gold

Silver

Bronze